Re: Historical Research

To: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>, "Gabriel Boehm"
Subject: Re: Historical Research
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:36:54 -0600
FWIW (and with all respect to Mr. Swift) I would not include him under any
category of "Solo II fatality."

The cause of his death was not directly related to autocross (as in, having
an accident). Rather, it was directly related to his health and just
happened to happen at an autocross. If it happened while he was riding a
bus, as it just as easily could have, it would not be listed in statistics
for bus fatalities, etc. And if anyone makes a case that he was exerting
himself, then it could as easily have happened while he was mowing the lawn
or bringing in the groceries -- it was the exertion, not the venue.

That he was 82 and likely had a smile on his face when it happened -- I
could wish as much for myself.

--Rocky

(PS -- in this discussion, non-SCCA events are equally valid, IMHO, although
SCCA Risk Management probably would not have such data handy.)