Re: Tire warmup area.

To: <Streldoc@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire warmup area.
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:53:13 -0500
Mebbe some of you guys of the big Detroit Iron persuasion can get your
jollies doing burnouts, but it doesn't work for all. Like some of us in LBCs
(Little British Cars) and weapons of similar ilk.

I'm reminded of a time long, long ago in a land far, far away (Dallas
Nationals, 1977) where there was a very long open area between grid and
start. It occurred to me I had ample room to do a nice safe burnout to warm
the tires. So I did. Afterwards someone asked me what I was doing. "A
burnout," I said. "Tires weren't spinning," he replied.'

But my clutch plate was nice and warm. Funny, it did not seem to grab all
that well.

IMHO, heat and burnout are less useful than would be a tire-cleaning area --
someplace we could do a first-gear figure-8 on the way to the line to clean
off the rocks. Then again, would it have to be constantly swept of all the
rocks that had been cleaned off so the next car does not pick them right up
again?

Probably an idea whose time really has not come.

--Rocky Entriken