Re: Who's Juan Paul?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Who's Juan Paul?
From: Guy Schalnat <guy-schalnat@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:33:13 -0400
> Who's Juan Paul?

<delurk>

That would be Juan Pablo Montoya.

He was known as Juan Montoya over here in the states because our media
didn't understand using all three names (after Helio Castro-Neves got sick of
being called Mr. Neves and changed his name to Helio Castroneves).  Now that
he's in
F1, Juan picked up the Pablo again, like the good Columbian he is.

Certain Americans can't make the effort to pronounce certain names, so
we give then what we think are cute nicknames instead, not realizing what an
insult
they are.

Oh well.  Welcome to America.  Luckily, we have such a bad reputation that they
almost expect it of us, and so are not shocked when it happens.

And, yes, Michael was trying to make up for earlier in the year.  And,
yes, the interesting race is down further in the grid.  Actually, the race
between the Jaguars and the Minardi's was the best race, and it was for the
last 4
spots running (not counting Ralf, of course).  I don't think much of it was
shown on

TV, though.

As far as I can tell, at 180mph, they needed to be within about 3 inches
to actually "tie" (not that I believe Michael was trying for that), but at
0.011 of
a second, were about 3 feet off of each other.

</delurk>

-Guy (<rant> who's last name is Schalnat, pronounced "shall not", which
is really just how it is spelled, if you look at it again, and will have to be
forgiven being a bit touchy about the subject due to 35 years of people not
trying,
and saying things like "sha - nalt".  To everyone's credit, I don't think I've
ever
had a local autocross announcer say it anywhere near that bad, and most
actually get
it right on the first go.</rant>)