Re: AP Nationals Turnout

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AP Nationals Turnout
From: "Steve Hudson" <smhudson@austin.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:07:57 -0500
The issue of rules stability is vital for increasing participation in the
prepared class.

I purchased my Miata last year and over the winter began building it into a
DP car.  Going in I knew this would be at least a three year process to
build the car and start getting it sorted out.  I studied the rules and the
proposed rule changes that were published in Fastrack and based on the
current rules and the proposals I chose to build a 1.6L engine for the car.
Building a race motor is *way* beyond my mechanical skill level, so I'm
having the motor done by a professional.  It's finally finished and I hope
to get it in this weekend.

Now with less than three months notice the SEB proposes to move the car to a
completely different class, with different preparation rules and also change
the competitive balance between the 1.8L and 1.6L Miatas.  Keep in mind that
Fastrack has not been published yet, so everything I hear about the proposed
changes is not official.  The weight proposed for the 1.6L car is 1650 and
only 100 pounds more for the 1.8L.  It will be very difficult to get a Miata
down to 1650, so in reality the difference is less than 100 pounds.  Had I
known this was coming, I would have built a 1.8L engine.  My investment in
the engine is now wasted.  10" wide wheels are not cheap and neither are the
bigger tires to go on them.  Allowing unlimited fuel injection costs more
money also.  All this so I can compete against V8s, Tigers and Corvettes!
Welcome to Prepared?

Moving the Miata with almost no notice from DP to "unlimited" AP in order to
"save" AP and to protect the older DP cars from competition is NOT the way
to increase participation in Prepared.

Steve Hudson
DP #82