Re: AP Nationals Turnout

To: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: AP Nationals Turnout
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:05:17 -0500
Andy wrote:
> Note also, Rocky, that 2nd place AP finisher Sam Platt had cones on all of
> his runs for the one day.  Without the cones he would have won by 1.3
> seconds, putting him a full 1.8 seconds ahead of that DP-winning Miata.
Now
> what do you say?  What are you going to give that Miata that's worth
almost
> two seconds?

Whoops, quite right. Okay, take the cones off Sam, and the Miata would still
have been a trophy third. And the other one a trophy fifth.

> Why is it less of a fit with other small bore, small dimension sport cars
> than it is with large bore cars like Vettes and Tigers?

Actually, that's why I personally think  FP is the home for it. With the
*larger* smallbore cars. But the FP guys are afraid of it too and already
killed that proposal. So now an AP proposal is on the table, with specs to
the wacky things AP can do. (And I thought the AP-specific rules were a
mistake too, just more gumbo in the stew that Prepared has become).
Actually, a better solution may be to class it in BOTH FP and AP, as the
Corvette can now do either AP or BP. FP using GCR prep, AP using the
almost-anything-goes prep.

Or, if we really want to kill off  DP as it now exists, move the Datsun
Z-cars and RX7s into DP too. They, like the Miata, are E Production race
cars. Should be competitive with F and G Production race cars in the same
solo class, right? At least that is what the rulebook seems to say now.

And Tom Holt wrote:
>     By moving the Miatas out of DP and into AP, you take the second
>healthiest class in Prepared and whittle it down to being just above the
>minimum levels.

But you leave it in and only us diehards stay for what becomes Spec Miata.

In 1998 and 1999, pre-Miata, we had 27 cars each year. Since the Miata
showed up in 2000 we've LOST cars, down to 20 now. You don't make a class
healthy by throwing in an overdog that chases the others away.

Moving the Miata to AP helps both classes.

--Rocky