Re: F1 Grand Prix

To: autox@autox.team.net, pullg@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: F1 Grand Prix
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 20:25:42 -0400
>And there are *dozens* of
>low-speed wind-tunnels in the U.S. desparate for paying customers.  Show up
>with a check, and it's even possible to get time in some of the NASA wind
>tunnels.

I still think you will need your own wind tunnel for F1.  The problem is it
is very difficult to schedule time in a good tunnel now.  We will take
every date we can get and struggle to get one day a month, and I am
positive F1 takes a lot more tunnel time for development than we need in
Winston Cup...  Plus GM's wind tunnel only goes to 160 mph, so a lot of
info is lost.  In addition F1 will need a rolling road tunnel, since at the
levels of downforce they are talking about, the air around the tires has a
tremendous impact.  I don't know of any good rolling road tunnels
around.  Incidentally I have heard they are building an incredible tunnel
at Clemson.  Rolling road, 200 mph, able to get three Winston Cup cars nose
to tail in to finally simulate the draft in a tunnel.  Could be neat.  How
would you like to stand inside there when that thing is going 200? :)

-Matt