Re: F1 Grand Prix

To: "Brian Berryhill" <bikepoet@netzero.net>, "Autox"
Subject: Re: F1 Grand Prix
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:44:18 -0500
Brian Berryhill wrote:

> If Ferrari would start using those Williams' BMW team orders, someone else
> might be able to win!

Yeah, after they took each other out.

The problem isn't Ferrari team orders, its the lack of a challenge from
Williams, McClaren, Jordan, Jaguar and Bar.  If any of these teams would
step up their game to challenge Ferrari then Ferrari wouldn't be in a
position to "decide" who wins.

Right now Ferrari is demonstrating that F1 is their personal playground to
do with as they please.  If they were pressed by any of the other teams then
Ferrari would have to drop the team orders and have both drivers defend
their positions.  They wouldn't have the luxury of team orders they would be
too busy racing.

So don't blame Ferrari, they are only doing what any team would do in their
position, or has done in the past.  Blame Ron Dennis or Frank Williams for
not mounting a successfull challenge.

> PS:  MS region is having a 2-day autocross event at Grenada, Mississippi
on
> November 23-24, 2002.  From what my young ears gather, this is the same
> place that Tours and ProSolos once occurred, so if you missed not having
the
> Meridian Tour this year, this is your chance to enjoy the southern weather
> before it gets too cold.... www.msscca.org

I ran Pro Solos at Grenada in 1989 and 90.  I don't think there was ever a
National Tour there.  Nice site.  Flat smooth concrete.  Lots of that black
dusty mold though.  It turns to slime if it rains.

Steve Hoelscher
#27 DSP