Re: How to get Novices to Stick

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to get Novices to Stick
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:03:48 -0400
At 01:38 PM 10/2/02 -0700, Joe Lee Jr. wrote:
>Another great topic!
>
>We (www.nasanortheast.org) strive to be as novice-friendly as possible. We
>have a guided course walk in the morning followed by 1/2-speed parade laps
>to help novices understand the course and what all the cone configuratiosn
>mean. We have a novice meeting after the general drivers' meeting where we
>go over work assignments and pair off students/instructors. Instructors
>are encouraged to give rides during their runs. At registration we have a
>bunch of literature available. Classing, rules, point system and a novice
>"primer" with tips, rules and the daily schedule are all available and are
>concise and easy to read. Our simple classing and mod system helps newbs
>by not bewildering them with so many different clases.

But unfortunately, nasa-NE isn't experienced competitor friendly.  I've
been there, as have a few of my friends (one of which lives so close you
can see Giants' Stadium from their apartment).

Among some of the things that have gone on:

I was classed with a Boxster and other such cars in my SCCA F-Stock Camaro
(BTW, the Boxster was driven by a Nat'l champ), which is a little
screwy.  As the day progressed, and I was apparently going faster than the
NASA folks thought I should, I got reclassed to the next higher
class.  Meanwhile the other F-stockers there didn't (including my the guy
co-driving my car!!!!).

Finishes that result in cars flying through grid.  When mentioned before
the event, the answer was "slow down before it".  Um, this is a timed
event, and you shouldn't have to slow down before the lights.  Move the
lights and make it safe.  When the inevitable happened (and one car almost
hit another in grid as it stopped sliding), the driver of the finishing car
was yelled at for going to fast.

The times I've been there, it was like road racing, not autox.  As much fun
as putting you foot down is sometimes, there isn't a lot of skill
required.  I'm not saying courses should be all bottled up, but a little
more technical might be good.  Also, the courses are hard to see for anyone
not looking off the hood.  I look ahead (have to or Jean will fire me!),
and because of a lack of directionals and small cones.

The classing is way messed up.  I'm not saying it has to be exactly like
SCCA classing.  I know that NASA VA won't use it that classing because of
the way it's goofed up.  If I read the classing rules right, if I have less
than 15 "points" worth of things done to my car, the class doens't
change.  Well, adding slicks (not DOT R tires, SLICKS), gutting the
interior AND adding forced induction is only 14 points.  Meanwhile, while I
get bumped up a class because I was faster than they thought I should be,
someone who can't drive as well can run in their regular "Gruppe" with all
those mods.

Maybe NASA NE is getting and keeping newbies.  And that's great.  Maybe
that's the idea, but you should be aware that us experienced guys only come
to NASA events if we need some seat time or need to test something.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
800-729-1831 orders/price info.