Re: How to get Novices to Stick

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to get Novices to Stick
From: "Joe Lee Jr." <joeleejr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
Another great topic!

We (www.nasanortheast.org) strive to be as novice-friendly as possible. We
have a guided course walk in the morning followed by 1/2-speed parade laps
to help novices understand the course and what all the cone configuratiosn
mean. We have a novice meeting after the general drivers' meeting where we
go over work assignments and pair off students/instructors. Instructors
are encouraged to give rides during their runs. At registration we have a
bunch of literature available. Classing, rules, point system and a novice
"primer" with tips, rules and the daily schedule are all available and are
concise and easy to read. Our simple classing and mod system helps newbs
by not bewildering them with so many different clases.

Mostly, all staffers MUST be friendly and helpful - even to those
most-annoying-of-newb - those hwo need their hands held all day. Smile and
  be encouraging. be sure your instructors finish every post-run critique
session on a positive note. Treat every newb as more than just a client
but a potential friend.

It seems to work for us as we never have enough instructors. We use our
autocross program as a pool from which to draw Track Day/Driver's Ed
entrants. It has been wildly successful - especially amongst the novices.
Of the 100 registrants for Lime Rock Nov. 11 we have over 70 Novices!

How's that for a story Per?
http://sbc.yahoo.com