Re: French Owned Companies?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>,
Subject: Re: French Owned Companies?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:28:55 -0500
Ok, lessee now -- if we boycott...

French Fries -- Idaho potato farmers are hit
French Toast -- Kansas wheat farmers
French Bread -- unless imported, those same wheat farmers
French cheeses -- That brie probably originated with some dairy farmer in
Minnesota
French wine -- is it really French or a French name (champagne, Chardonnay)
grown and vinted in California or upstate New York?

I just did an interview last week with a French driver, Sebastien Bourdais
(driving CART for Newman-Haas). Asked him about some of this stuff.
Fortunately, he said, he is living in Miami which is melting-pot enough with
a lot of different ethnics he is not really getting any backlash.

The effect on him personally is so minimal the subject did not find its way
into my story, but I liked a quote from him that most of the people he is
around "understand that a human person, French,  German, or other
nationalities, are not responsible for their country's position."

So I guess we should not blame Moet for France's political position and
start spraying Taylor off the podium instead (motorsports content!). On the
other hand, what I do believe is that those who opposed joining us for the
conflict should not expect to join us for the spoils, which includes the
rebuilding of Iraq and the new-market windfalls that will be for commercial
interests involved. Or to put it another way, if some French company is
involved in the rebuilding, it will be because American/Coalition
authorities chose it as the best option, not  French authorities pushing a
Francophile agenda.

--Rocky Entriken (treated rudely in France back in '65 just because I was
American, treated warmly in ten other countries including both Germanys)