Re: French Owned Companies?

To: "Autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: French Owned Companies?
From: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:30:06 -0400
On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 03:38 PM, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> I can tell
> you however that I am absolutely doing my part for the effort by not
> eating
> French fries, French toast, French bread, French cheeses or drinking
> French
> wine or water.

French Fries:  The Belgians claim to have invented them, but no one
really knows.  Supposedly the dish really didn't kick off until the
English started selling them with fish (as in 'fish and chips'.)  They
got their current name when American soldiers in France took a liking
to them and named them that.

Strike one.

French Toast:   According to the FoodTV web site, there isn't much
'French' in French toast.  One claimed origin was in 1724 in a tavern
in Albany,NY, by the owner, Joseph French.  Another has it with
French-speaking Cajun cooks and the dish they call "pain perdu".  But
we can't blame (or credit) it on the French.

Strike two.

I'm quiting there.  If you *really* want to protest the French
opposition to the war (which, I'll point out, a lot of vets I know
oppose just as strongly), send back the Statue of Liberty, which was a
gift from 'The people of France' to celebrate the US's centenial.  Or
you could write GM and try to get them to change the names of their
Chevrolet and Caddilac lines, as both of those are French names.

Yeah, that's the ticket!! The SCCA should ban all Corvettes (also of
French origin) in protest!  That'll show 'em!!

David