Fwd: tr

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: tr
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 20:42:27 -0400
Fellow Team Netters,

I received the following e-mail from a fellow Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix
worker. His TR3A has been giving him fits all summer, and he has asked my
help in diagnosing the various problems. I gave him some ideas, but since
traffic has been slow here lately, I figured I throw out a challenge and see
if any of you all have experienced any of this.  I will forward all replies
to the lucky owner of the LBC.

Larry Steckel

>Thanks for offering some assistance, and a lending ear.  Believe it or not
>all has happened in succession over the summer months.
>
>First, I have a 61 TR3A and the engine was rebuilt about 15yrs ago with
>very
>little miles put on since.  This can be difficult explaining without
>seeing,
>but here it goes.
>
>In the spring I replaced the coil, plugs and ran great.  THEN.
>
>1.  At idle, runs smoothly, no black smoke.  Purrs like a kitten.  However,
>just taking around the block it misses, jerks back/forth, no power in 3rd.
>live in Oakmont, and if you're familiar with Hulton Rd, I could only make
>it up
>the hill in 2nd.  Just no power under a load.  Don't think timing has
>anything to do with it.
>
>2.  I've changed plugs, but get blacked very quickly.  Tried to adjust the
>carbs best I could, but same result.  THEN
>
>3.  It began to overheat.  Replaced the thermostat, drained/flushed rad,
>but
>continues to do the same just going around the block.  New belt and feels
>tight and secure.  Fairly new rad cap and water is flowing via hoses to
>rad.  No
>evidence of water pump leaking, but could be bad.  Don't recall if ever
>replaced.  Cracked block?  THEN.
>
>4.  I tried to back out of the garage.  When I engaged the clutch it would
>not go into gear.  Just grinds-will not get into any gear.  Will of-course
>if
>engine not running. Topped off gearbox w/oil, but no dice.  It just grinds.
>Does not appear to be any leaks but have not bled the clutch.  Fluid in
>master
>cylinder and fairly new slave cylinder-4 yrs old.  As I said, there has not
>been
>very many miles put on this thing the last several yrs,  unfortunately.
>
>Right now I'm at a loss and frustrated, and not real comfortable attempting
>too many things myself at this point.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get Hotmail
Extra Storage!   http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es