Re: Arizona Motorsports Park

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Arizona Motorsports Park
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:08:02 -0600
Like I said, the lawyers will be busy!

Sounds like a technical argument over whether all the fine points of the
Special Use Permit were complied with.

However, a death penalty without opportunity to rectify any situations would
(I'd guess) be looked at unkindly by most judges above the municipal level.

I also love comments of "I heard noise from the track." IMHO,  the existence
of sound does not constitute noise. Where I live, I can hear *sound* from my
local roundy-round track, MORE than six miles away, if the night is clear
and the breeze is westerly. And those are unmuffled stocker with no dB
limits. I can hear traffic on the Interstate two miles away too. The fact I
am aware of the sound does not make it disturbing noise.

The bad news is picky neighbors usually equate sound with noise just because
they do not like it. Fact is, measured from a property line (or the
complainant's front door), the dB level of the alleged "noise" is often less
than the conversation between the complainant and the cop.

I noticed on the AMP website (it's on the SCCA site also), there was a 98dB
limit at 50 feet set for the Tour. That's pretty damn quiet. Last year,
faced with a new housing development next to our playground, we used the
occasion of a Divisional event to take dB readings. At 50 feet we had maybe
6-8 cars over 100 dB (loudest, a couple at 106) out of 100. Measuring at the
property line of the housing development, 400 feet away, the leaves in the
trees overhead, blown by the wind, were louder (~82dB) than the cars. When
one of the loudest cars went on course, you'd be aware it was there but
you'd still be able to hold a normal conversation. BTW, in taking those
sound measurements, we did it both days of the event and chose a location
where they'd be accelerating just off the start on day one, and decelerating
just after the finish on day two -- we specifically wanted the cars at their
noisiest point.

AMP needs to be a good neighbor, but they also have to be given the
opportunity to be a good neighbor.

Rocky Entriken