Re: Nature of autocross

To: Craig Naylor <magazine@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: Nature of autocross
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:43:16 -0500
Craig,

Since you want to play a semantics game, here I go:

At 07:17 PM 8/15/2006 -0700, Craig Naylor wrote:
>So please correct me if I'm wrong......

You asked to be corrected (Greg learned the hard way since he lives with me:-):

>   Do they award a 1st place trophy to the fastest person each day, I
> doubt it?

There is NO award for the "fastest person" in solo, racing, or any
automotive event.  Did you mean Olympic gold winners?  That is were people
rather than vehicles win.

>   The winner (i.e. 1st place) is the person with the fastest time (insert
> overall if you must).

Once again, solo championships are NOT the person or car with the fastest
time.  Several reasons.

Please re-read my first response titled "Winning and Not being the Fastest."

>   The person with the fastest time would therefor be in 1st place, 2nd
> place therefore does not win the event as stated.

A person never has a "fastest time" at a Solo Event, NapCar, Formula 1,
etc.  Only at the Olympics does a person have a fastest time!

>    Autocross is not so unique, The Tour de Fracias has many stages,
> Rallies have many stages, the Baja 1000 has multiple stages..... but
> second place does not win.  They don't in Solo either.

I agree that second place is the "bridesmaid" and does not win and is not
remembered.

>    The winner is the person with the fastest time, period.

Only in the Olympics, not Solo II,

Grandma Sam