Re: Nature of autocross

To: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Subject: Re: Nature of autocross
From: Mike Shields <mshields@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:40:40 -0400
On Aug 16, 2006, at 10:53 PM, Sam & Greg Scharnberg wrote:

> At 10:24 PM 8/16/2006 -0400, Mark Sirota wrote:
>> --On Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:43 PM -0500 Sam & Greg Scharnberg
>> <samandgreg@netins.net> wrote:
>>> There is NO award for the "fastest person" in solo, racing, or any
>>> automotive event.  Did you mean Olympic gold winners?  That is were
>>> people rather than vehicles win.
>>
>> I strongly disagree, Sam.  We award first-place trophies to the
>> PERSON
>> who wins the class, not the car (or the car owner).
>
> I agree that SCCA awards trophies to a PERSON who wins (not
> necessarily the fastest vehicle) the CAR class.  NO argument there.
> However, did the Person win or was there assistance from a Vehicle?
> Was that Vehicle legal?  Only until protested and DSQ'd.  I could go
> on.......

In the olympics we have equestrian (people + horses), cycling (people
+ bicycle), rowing (people + skulls), sailing (people + boats), etc.
And within many of those disciplines are classes of competition. How
do they differ from autocross? Is it the person or the vehicle who
wins? Was that vehicle legal? The winners of these events (the people)
receive gold/silver/bronze medals. In fact from the looks of things,
the sailing competitions aggregate multiple races into an overall
score, so the gold medalist doesn't necessarily have to win an
individual event.

-Mike