RE:There and Back again

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:There and Back again
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 00:23:24 -0400

>From: Dan Parslow

Visited the Keswick Motor Museum in Cumbria.  Saw James Bond's Aston,
Emma Peel's Elan, and something they wanted you to believe was The
Prisoner's Lotus Seven, KAR120C.  They even put that number plate on
it, which is sheer fraud, since the fate of the true KAR120C is well-
documented, and the number plate was officially reissued to Caterham's
Anniversary "Prisoner Edition" Super Seven.  There is some reason to
believe that the Lotus displayed was one of those used in the series,
but it's not the one used in the title sequence to which that plate
really belongs.

I'm also wondering about "Emma'a Elan". A few years ago "the" Elan
was supposidly for sale here in the US. I believe the ad was from
around the D.C. area. Along with some sort of supporting documentation
was the logbook of the car with Diana Rigg's autograph in it.

Makes you think the following:

1) The US car could be a fake(an imported RHD car) that someone just
managed to get Ms Rigg to autograph their book. The UK museum thus
having the "real" car.

2) The US car is genuine, the UK museum car being a fake.

3) The UK museum has bought the US car & brought it back home.

4) Like most other TV/Movie cars, there was never just one, but many -
thus allowing several current owners to simultaneously claim that they
own "the" car.

My vote is for #4. Possibly #3 or #2 if you believe the museum had any
integrety after what you know about KAR120C. As the ad seemed to be pretty
detailed at the time, I don't believe #1 to be true(other than being part
of #4).

All I know is that I've seen several cars that fall into the #4 category
and you soon stop being impressed.

-Bob T.