Re: 265 Chrysler Rods

To: gumby@connectexpress.com
Subject: Re: 265 Chrysler Rods
From: Daryl Webb <dwebb@schooner.waite.adelaide.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 100 14:36:09 +1030 (CST)
According to Rich Atherton:

> term HEMI, in regards to the apparent 225 Slant 6 appearing engine in the
> link below..  I used to own a 331 Hemi, and HEMI stood for Hemispherical,
> and the cumbustion chamber in the head was domed shaped.

Gee Rich, here in Oz it means the same thing..

> Large valves at either side of the dome,

Yup same here in OZ

> then the Spark plug right dab in the center where it belonged.

OK not quite of the 6cyl hemi, but still very central.

> The Pictures of the Aussie Valiant look good, but the head on
> that thing looks just like ever 225 slant 6 I rebuilt in high school

You must have had some real interesting slant 6's at you high school, coz
the 6cyl hemi heads I know are a lot different from the slant 6's

> That Valiant is NOT a true Hemi head...

How so, it forms 1/2 of a sphere (well OK the flat valves put some dents
in it but other than that 1/2 sphere)

> My car is, some Toyota's have been but I can't remember which model,
>  but NOT slant 6's...

Agreed not slant 6's but we are talking about the OZ developed HEMI 6cyl
not the old slant 6

> There just is no way to make a head that narrow and have semi opposing
> valves in a hemispherical chamber...

Well someone forgot to tell the designers coz thats what they have...

> Hemi heads Flow better than any other design.

Yup thats why they got 300+ HP from a factory 265 CI 6 cylinder....

Rich just because its not 'mericun doent mean its no good.

 the Hemi series of 6's were great motors, strong, reliable, tolerant of
obscene abuse, developed good power, even better torque and were capable
of excellent economy (particularly in the later ELB guises)  That chrysler
US didnt make use of these excellent engines, even though the initial
design was started in the US in 1966, says a lot about chrysler

cheers

daryl (dwebb@waite.adelaide.edu.au)