265 Chrysler Rods

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: 265 Chrysler Rods
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:03:30 -0800
1/20/00

Hello Groups,

        Since sending the message below it certainly has been interesting
to see the various comments which have been made.  Suffice it to say I
think the hemi question could probably be argued for a long time.  It all
depends on your background, experience, and preconceptions as to just what
constitutes a "True Hemi."

        Thanks to Ron Beckett for the various website addresses.  I am
following them up but have no hard information on the rods yet.  I have
found that it is often very difficult to get hard info.

        Can't remember if Mr. Robson came up with anything.  How about it,
Andrew?

        Glen Towery--What do you know?

        Paul says all I need to know is that the rods "fit" (whatever that
means) and that I have to get them from Australia.  That is not enough.  I
need to know basic dimensional, availability, and material information in
order to see what the possibilities may be.

        Greg Williams (Thanks Greg) seems to be on my side and has repeated
the inquiry.

        So, I put it to the groups again, as laid out below.  Somebody must
know something!  I'm still in the dark and live in the wrong country.
There are no shop manuals, parts book listings, rebuilder's
specifications----etc. to refer to.  But apparently these rods have been
used in BOP/Rover engines.  Right?

        Even 1 bit of information at a time is better than none at all.
Please speak up if you know anything, even if it is just to identify a
source for the information.

        It's been fun, so far, but it would be great to get my teeth into
something solid.

Regards,

Dave Kernberger

1/13/00

Damien, Peter, Ron, etal,

        Thanks for the intro. to an engine which is a brand new story to me
and sounds very interesting.  The big questions remain:

1) What is it about these rods which makes them useful to a Rover/Buick
engine builder?

2) Are they the same as used on any other Chrysler engine?

3) Are they readily available and reasonably priced in your part of the world?

4) Specifics on dimensions such as center to center length, rod bearing
diameter, pin hole diameter, bushed small end or not, big end width,
offset, material of manufacture, reputation for strength, etc, etc,
etc,----would all be welcome.  I want to learn as much as possible in full
detail.  There must be something to this or it would not be mentioned from
time to time.  There certainly are not any listings here (USA-California)
in any parts catalogs or performance parts catalogs I have seen.

5) Can anybody else add anything useful or fill in any of the above
information?  I do not think these rods are mentioned in Hardcastle's book
either.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dave K.