Re: U20 teardown/ piston tips

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U20 teardown/ piston tips
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:37:23 EDT
In a message dated 09/03/1999 09:58:48 MST, IMPORT1@aol.com writes:

> Being on a tight budget, he got a used piston (std.) with new rings of
>  course, and we installed that.The cylinder was a 3 and the piston a 2. Not
>  the best way to go, but 7800 miles later still going strong.

Yup, been there, done that. I had a case where the rings on one cyl let go
and the chunks worked their way up through the top of the piston. I had to do
a quickie on it, as it was my only/daily driver. I used a piston out of a
spare block, mistmatched ##'s and all. Yes, it works just fine too. I do have
a tiny bit of noise, but that could very well be the pin. Small Japanese
engines seem to be very forgiving about stuff like that and run forever. Just
wanted to clue folks in, NOT cause reason for worry & fret.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
Chandler, AZ