GRM Test

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, GRMhq@aol.com
Subject: GRM Test
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:34:04 -0600
Datsun Roadster List & Grassroots Motorsports Magazine,
There was a recent thread on the Datsun Roadster List regarding an
attempt to get more attention, respect, and value for the Datsun
roadsters. There was also some mention of a thought to get Grassroots
Motorsports Magazine (GRM) to give the Datsun roadster some attention.
GRM had a great comparison test of several makes of roadsters from
different makes and vintages, which included a '69 Datsun 2000.  It was
GRM's March/April 1998 issue.  The comparison test was for best
competition potential for autocrossing or vintage race use.  I've been a
long term subscriber to GRM and really like the magazine, but was
disappointed with their method in choosing the cars for this test,
particularly the Datsun roadster.  The test was comparing the Miata with
several other older roadsters which included the Alfa Romeo Spider, the
Pininfarina 2000 (Fiat 124 Spider), the Lancia Zagato, the Lotus Elan,
the MGB, and the Triumph TR6.  The Datsun 2000 test car was Larry
Obert's (whoever he is?) '69  2000 and it came in last place!!!!!!
GRM admitted that the Datsun 2000 was unrestored, with worn out shocks
and less than optimal tires.  Also, the Datsun test car weighed in at
2410 lbs total, 2223 lbs empty (heavier than a typical 2000 and
driver).  COME ON GRM, tires and shocks are the most critical components
for autocrossing.  Also, the other older cars were restored apparently.
At least to qualify the test and redeem the Datsun, GRM mentioned in
closing that if the Datsun had been restored as the others were, it
would have been a much better contender in the test.  GRM did give a big
thumbs up for the Datsun U20's good torque (likely not all there in the
test car?).
Speaking from my own personal experience with comparing the Datsun 2000
with one of the other cars in this comparison test, the MGB I once owned
couldn't even come close to a Datsun 2000 in an autocross.  Does anyone
have any experience/opinions of the other cars compared to the Datsun in
autocrossing?  I know the Miata and the Lotus are great autocross cars,
but I believe an equally prepared Datsun 2000 can give them a run for
their money.
I think it's going to take a lot more than GRM to bring more respect and
value to a Datsun roadster from the unknowing.  But, at least, GRM could
conduct the test again with an equally prepared Datsun 2000 to give it a
fair shake (just don't add the BMW Z3 nor the Honda S2000 to the test
:-)  ).  What do you think GRM?

Gary Boone
'70 Datsun 2000 Roadster

Hey GRM, I'll offer my Datsun 2000 as a test car so you can legitimize
your test, especially if you'll give it your project car treatment.
(GRM needs to determine the improvement potential of installing
programmable fuel injection and crank triggered ignition on a Street
Prepared '70 Datsun 2000 anyway   :-)        GRM, just in case, you can
see my car at
 http://www.datsunroadsters.com/dats86.html    Thanks Mark for the great
website.