Re: 3rd shift

To: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>,
Subject: Re: 3rd shift
From: teddy@stat.cmu.edu (Teddy Seidenfeld)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:12:14 -0500
At 2:34 AM 9/6/99, Steve Harvey wrote:
snip
>Observation: Has anyone tried to find a radio that fits the roadster
>that doesn't have a cassettes player? I've been to Best Buy and Circuit
>City and the radios they sell that could possibly fit the roadster all
>have a cassette player. I find that the smaller the radio the cheaper
>the quality. Having to rotate a cassette player 90 degrees doesn't help
>the player function properly. I've had two radios in my 70 and the
>cassette has eaten tapes after a few plays.
>
>Thanks
>Steve Harvey
>Milwaukee

Dear Steve,

I've been using the bottom-of-the-line Radio Shack model 12-2004
Radio/Cassette player for 5 months without any problems, on a daily-driver.
You can get it for about $40 (on sale).

It has the same case and face dimensions as the Roadster's stock AM radio.
And, it's the only one I've found that matches.

The single bit of surgery needed for installation is to remove the approx
1/4" x 5" vertical strip on the center of the radio-console faceplate,
where the cassette unit protrudes.

The tuning is a non-digital slide-bar, with minute white-on-black printing.
So, though rotated to the vertical, the face doesn't offend me, at least.

There is a small AMBER backlighting for the slide-bar dial, which doesn't
match the white-on-black of the main dash.  I haven't yet tried to change
that over to a white light.   It is noticeable only at night anyway.

Best,
Teddy
69 2000
Pgh PA
OROC

PS  I run with two 5.5 (round) pioneer speakers situated in the lowest of
the (three) precut holes in the side panels, just behind the seats.

PPS  Whatever you choose, I recommend listening to songs with familiar lyrics!!