RE: Fuel tank blues

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <stevenh@execpc.com>,
Subject: RE: Fuel tank blues
From: "Fred Johnson" <Johnsof@jmspi.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:34:57 -0500
Charles: I seem to remember from old motorcycle racing days (back when they
still had steel tanks) that you could neutralize the remaining vapors prior to
welding by running the exhaust from a car, etc, into the tank once it was
drained.  Is that also true?  Please ask the Mrs. what she thinks.

Fred J.
SRL 009546

>>> "HUBBARD, Charles" <chubbard@shl.com> 09/13/99 01:56PM >>>
Steve,

My wife is an environmental engineering consultant with considerable
experience removing 6,000 gallon gasoline tanks for disposal.   You can weld on
the tank if you flush the tank and insert dry ice. Before doing this, she
suggests that you call the local fire department for advice on how to
proceed. Welding shops should also know this trick but make sure that the
tank is clean and that the welder knows what he is doing.

Charlie Hubbard
1964 SPL310