Re: Fuel tank blues

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel tank blues
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:46:30 -0700
Do what most of us do. Let a radiator shop handle it. They'll clean it out
and seal it, prior to any welding work.

A couple years ago I removed the tank from my '68, after it sat around for
20 years. The gas smelled noxious, and I wondered if it lost some of it's
flammability. Out of curiousity, and with precautions such as a fire
extinguisher and hose nearby, I poured about an ounce on a large dirt mound
in an open field. Tossed a match on it. I couldn't believe the amount of
flames and smoke from that ounce, very intense. I would not want to be near
a tank with gallons of that stuff going off. Old gas, new gas, it's all
explosive. (Yeah, CalSpeed gave me a bad time about that.) Incidentally, it
took the radiator shop three weeks to clean it out. They've got ways to
neutralize the gas.

I never work on gasoline indoors. Over 20 years ago, a neighbor next door
was working on a car in the garage. The gas ignited and burned down most of
the place, and I saw the people barely get out in time. Watching something
like that happen makes you take precautions.

I was wondering if you could use a tap and die to rethread that bad
connector fitting with a different thread size, enough to install an
extender with the correct fitting on the other end?

Fred - So.SF