RE: Fuel tank blues

To: "PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO" <slick@mohaveaz.com>,
Subject: RE: Fuel tank blues
From: "HUBBARD, Charles" <chubbard@shl.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:26:35 -0500
Patrick,

Anecdotal evidence does not support the facts that I conveyed in the
attached memo. There is a have a horror story for every type of auto repair
out there, as I'm sure most of the people on this page can attest. The
advice I offered was what the Fire Marshall requires for handling tanks that
could take out a city block.  Keep in mind that my own wife is standing in
the area while the tank is coming out of the ground.

There is a lot more to it than just dumping dry ice in the tank.  I advised
Steve to call the fire dept., who would probably tell him to pay a
professional... not someone who has never been trained to handle gas tanks.

I have no problem with cutting my own gas tank to pieces after it had been
cleaned and had dry ice inserted into it. However, I used to work in a
muffler shop welding around FULL gas tanks. Dangerous?  You bet!  Proceed
with caution?  Yup! Would I let a gas station weld on my car or bring in a
leaking gas tank while welding was going on?  Hell no!

"Experiment" was not a word I used. However, you make a very good point that
one can never be too cautious with gasoline. All of us should think twice
before we attempt to repair a fuel problem or weld in a confined space.  The
only time I have ever been hurt while working on auto's (or anything else)
was when I was ignoring my own safety or someone else was doing the same.

Regards,

Charlie Hubbard
1964 SPL310