Re: re-torque of head bolts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re-torque of head bolts
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 99 17:00:49 CDT
Steve,

Retorque the headbolts when the engine is COLD. I let it sit
overnight.

One bolt at a time, in the "normal manner" (starting on the inner
bolts, and working outwards in a spiral pattern). If you loosen
ALL the headbolts at the same time, then you'll need to REPLACE
the headgasket, as you will break the seal. Just loosen, and
retighten, ONE BOLT AT A TIME.

Usually you only need to retorque the head at 500 miles. Usually
after the engine has had ten good "hot/cold" cycles.

As to the antifreeze seeping into the cylinder: No need to drain
the coolant, but REMOVE all four spark plugs. When you are done
with re-torqing the head bolts, just crank the engine over. Any
coolant that might have seeped into the cylinder is just expelled.

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '67 2000
Austin, TX   '68 2000