Re: Fuel,Spark,Air

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel,Spark,Air
From: B Strachan <bstrachan@home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 06:52:37 -0700
The fourth element is timing.  Ignition and valves.

A buddy of mine had a problem like yours.  Turns out his distributor cap
got put on 180 degrees out, somehow.  Yes, I know they only go on one
way, but...  You can check by making sure #1 is on top dead center
(piston at the top of the cylinder, both valves closed, you'll have to
take out the spark plug and take off the valve cover to tell).  Once you
establish that, the distributor rotor will be pointing to the plug wire
that SHOULD go to #1. If not, make it so.

Also, you might want to make sure the plug wires are in the right firing
order.  Going counterclockwise around the distributor, the order is
1-3-4-2 (#1 is the front cylinder nearest the radiator).

If you've done that and it STILL won't start, I would carefully set up
the static timing so the points open just before the #1 piston comes up
to TDC, and make sure you've got something between .020" and .030" gap
when the points are fully open.

Good luck!

"Brit-car Barrie"
'66 2000