Re: HELP - Hood stuck Closed!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HELP - Hood stuck Closed!!
From: B Strachan <bstrachan@home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 07:45:41 -0700
Dan,

I know the feeling.  I adjusted the hood closure on my '66 at one point
and had the same thing happen.

The latch on the '66 is different than the one on my '69 was, in that it
is designed so that if the cable breaks, the latch opens!!  A nice
feature!  Anyway, I pulled the hood release and held it out with a pair
of vise grips and fooled around for awhile with a vacuum cup, trying to
wiggle the hood around enough to pop it open, no success. I finally
decided the only way to get it open would be to deliberately break the
cable, or pull it out of the latch, so the "emergency" feature would
work.  I'm not sure why I thought that would help, now, but I was
getting desperate.  I took the knob off, put the vise grips on the cable
shaft, gave a mighty tug, and the hood popped open!!!!!  It didn't break
or damage anything.

Don't know if this will work for you, nor if your latch is the same
design as mine. You MIGHT just make things worse this way  :-(  Let us
know how how you solve it, ok?

Barrie
'66 2000
San Diego