Re: Plates

To: Paul <paul@winresearch.com>
Subject: Re: Plates
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:10:30 PST8PDT
Paul asks:
> Does anyone know if the DMV will re-issue older license plates in the
> colors correct for a car's age? My roadster has California plates that
> are Black with gold lettering.

In regards to California DMV (your state may be more 'user friendly'):

If the car has the original plates, they will re-register them.
If the car is 'old enough' (yes, I believe it's in the '50s), they will
register correct vintage plates as long as the plates have clean title.
But for our age range (60's) they will register vintage plates ONLY IF
the plates were originally on the car. That is, if you find a set of
black/yellow plates (technically, all obsolete plates are destroyed
by the wrecking yards), they will register them only to the car that
they originally came off of. What are the odds of finding your long-lost
set? And this would mean that an out-of-state Roadster, that never
had black/yellow, could never get them. Now, I don't know how this
applies to 'out of system' (> 5 years, 7 years, 10 years depending
on who you ask) cars and plates, and who knows if what I've been
told is the actual law...

> I have seen some restored vehicles with what appear to be new
> plates of older style.

I suspect that these plates have been repainted by the owner. I doubt
it's legal.

-- John