Re: PING PING

To: "shifty" <shifty@best.com>, "roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PING PING
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:55:57 -0700
> So Tom,
>
> Is the higher-priced premium really needed? I always use it in my cars - a
> 1500, and a Miata with the timing advanced. And it "feels" better, but since
> San Francisco has the highest gas prices in the county, am I just padding
> Chevron's coffers?
>
> Leigh Brooks
> BADROC
>
> PS - it cost $22 to fill up the Miata the other day. There was a woman
> filling up a Range Rover - she was still pumping and the meter was over $60!

Hi Leigh-

The octane you use is dependent on a number of things, all of which add up
to a car's tendency to ping.  High compression, high initial advance, sharp
spots in the combustion chambers, etc.

Set your car to its ideal settings, carb/timing/etc.  Put some cheap gas in
it, see what happens.  If there's no audible pinging, I think you're in the
clear.  If it pings, retard your timing a couple degrees (within reason -
don't go below 5BTDC or so), and see if that helps.  If it's still pinging,
go up to midgrade, and repeat.

I have found that compression ratio, coupled with cam radicality (is that a
word?!:-) is the single biggest indicator of required octane.  A higher-end
cam bleeds off compression at lower RPMs, so you can run more timing and not
have to worry about pinging.  OTOH, a high-compression engine with a low-end
cam (IOW, stock), will have very high compression at idle, and will need more
octane to prevent run-on.

All that said - here's what I run:
'71 PL521 - LZ22, 9.5+:1 compression, dual SUs, stock L20b cam, 92 octane
'69 2000 - U20, stock engine with non-smog distributor & pertronix, 92 octane
'72 240Z - L28, 8.3:1 compression, '73 cam, GM HEI, etc, 87 octane

Now that you;ve made it through all that - here's the short version, IMHO,
if you don't need the octane to prevent pinging/run-on, you're just throwing
your money away.

All IMHO, YMMV, standard disclaimers all around;-)
Kyle