Re: Cutting Shifter

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cutting Shifter
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:53:56 -0700
> My dad's five speed shifter has been cut and threaded.
> It is almost impossible to tell the difference between
> first, third, and fifth gear.  It causes many missed
> shifts.  Imagine autocrossing,  maxing the rpm's in
> second, and then hitting first instead of third.  It
> happens to me every time I drive the car.  I don't think
> the shift lever can be bent as you described.  It bolts
> to the tranny through a rubber grommet.  If you bend the
> lever it will rotate side to side when you try to
> shift.  Of course you could try to cut down the lever.
> It might not give you the problem it gives me,
> especially since you have a spare lever.
> Andy

Hiya Andy;

How much has it been cut down?

I'm planning on about a 10 degree bend right above where it bolts
into the trans.  I have no worry about it 'rotating' - you get the
bottom nut tight enough, that shifter won't rotate a bit. (I hope;-)

Why a bend?  Two reasons - when in 1/3/5, the shifter is practically
in contact with the choke (actually, 5th gear will disengage the choke,
kind of a handy-dandy reminder to turn it off!), and the position is
too far forward to be comfortable.

Cutting - I'm thinking of cutting about two inches off of it to get
things more precise; it also reminds me of a sailboat mast as is,
aesthetics are all wrong.  I cut the shifter in my 240Z down, and am
very happy with the result.

And you're right - having an extra rod is very heartening; if I screw
up, no harm no foul;-)

TTYL
Kyle
'69 2000