Re: Cutting Shifter

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cutting Shifter
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:03:33 -0500
>My dad's five speed shifter has been cut and threaded.
>It is almost impossible to tell the difference between
>first, third, and fifth gear.  It causes many missed
>shifts.  Imagine autocrossing,  maxing the rpm's in
>second, and then hitting first instead of third.  It
>happens to me every time I drive the car.  I don't think
>the shift lever can be bent as you described.  It bolts
>to the tranny through a rubber grommet.  If you bend the
>lever it will rotate side to side when you try to
>shift.  Of course you could try to cut down the lever.
>It might not give you the problem it gives me,
>especially since you have a spare lever.

I've had a couple of shift levers in 4-speed 510's cut down and
rethreaded and the mod works well. I'd think the best way to bend these
things would be to heat the lever, bend it and then re-heat treat it.

Don't remember if the the solid aluminum shift lever bushing kit offered
by Motorsports for the 510 and Z will work with the Roadsters, but it
does wonders for the later cars. If it won't fit or is NLA, I'd think any
machine shop or person with the right equipment could duplicate the OEM
rubber piece in metal.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)