Re: Controls of unknown function ('70 1600)

To: Jason Simpson <jason@xio.com>
Subject: Re: Controls of unknown function ('70 1600)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:30:41 -0700
> There are two controls on the dash I haven't figured out yet.

Ah, you can always tell the newcomers, when they ask about the
s/brake switch :-) [that is NOT meant as an insult. Sometimes, alas,
my humor is mis-interpreted...]

> ...just below the wiper control, second down on the far left...

'poor man's cruise control'. NO, DON'T USE IT FOR THAT.
It's the throttle knob. Hooks to the accelerator bellcrank. Pull it out
and twist to lock to increase engine speed. Useful to warm it up.
Usually broken.

> The other control is labelled "S/BRAKE" on the center console...

Starting with the 67.5 cars, a dual-reservoir master brake cylinder was
used for safety. A leak in one brake circuit doesn't knock out all braking
function (so the theory goes). To warn of a problem - that is, a loss of
braking pressure in one circuit - a differential pressure switch is used in
the brake line (mounted on the right side of the firewall). Front and rear
brake lines run to it, plus a wire to a connector on the top. If one set of
brakes fail, a switch turns on the red 'B' light on the dash (lower right).

But how do you know that the bulb is OK? Aha, that's what this switch
does. It just turns on the lamp, so you know the bulb works! Doesn't
check the brake switch itself, or the brake system, or anything much
except turning on that light.

-- John