Late Model Starter Removal

To: "Mark Clary" <mclary8@home.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late Model Starter Removal
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:55:44 -0800
>Is there an easy way to remove the starter from 69 2L?

Mary,

I have read the other replies to you from Fred and Steve and would add my
views.

I have had no more troubles with headers or stock manifold. The headers
become a problem only if there is a long style starter used. Since the long
style was used in the 1600 models I don't think you will have that problem.

The "Gusset removal" is only needed in the early roadsters. Your 1969 will
not need any modification to remove your starter.

You should remove the driver side front wheel to give you an open view of
the starter. Disconnect the negative battery post before you start work or
you might weld a tool or worse, weld a piece of flesh! Ouch! working from
the wheel well, disconnect the terminals on the starter. Remove the heavy
ground wire running from the bottom starter mounting bolt to the frame. If
this wire is not there, that is the most likely reason your starter burned
out!

The top mounting bolt is the hard nut here! You might be able to get at it
with a 14 mm socket and extensions from the front, around the back of the
manifold. If you can your in luck. If not, The back carb will be in the way
of getting at it from the top. The easiest way to get the back carb off is
to take the front one off first.

Once the starter is free, turn it so the nose is pointing out the wheel
well. This is easier said than done, so take your time. You may have to turn
the starter many times before finding that perfect configuration where the
starter will pass between the frame and the body, out the wheel well, but,
soon you'll have the offending motor in hand.

Your local Auto electric shop will be able to rebuild that puppy for 40 ~ 60
dollars. I keep a spare, ready to go in my garage. Heat is the other reason
we have so many starter troubles. I installed a heat shield wrap, that I
bought from a speed shop, but it did not last very long. Another good Idea
is the "Tilton Super Starter" type gear reduction motor or Vendors sell.
These motors are smaller so they are farther away from the exhaust heat.