Re: Basic question about compression ratio

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Basic question about compression ratio
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:04:38 -0600
Adam,

Compression ratio is:

(chamber volume + swept volume) / chamber volume.

With a 1600cc engine:
swept volume = 400 cc  (1600 divided by number of cylinders)

If you have 40cc of volume up in the cylinder head:

400cc + 40cc / 40cc
440 / 40

or 11:1 compression ratio.

Now increase the chamber volume to 50cc (i.e. dig out
that dremel tool and start removing metal from the
cylinder head):

400 + 50  / 50

9:1 compression ratio.

Darn head cold... can't sleep!