Basic question about compression ratio

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Basic question about compression ratio
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:32:19 -0800 (PST)
I know this is a very basic question but I don't understand how
compression ratio is determined.  For example, our R16 engines are 9:1,
but there was a truck called the "Homer" that also uses the R16 engine
but is only 8:1 (and has lower hp/torque, also single carb).

I assume this means that on the compression stroke, the air is
compressed to 1/9th (Roadster) or 1/8th (Homer) its original volume.
Since both vehicles have the same bore and stroke, what makes the
compression ratio lower on the truck?

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181