re CA Smog laws

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: re CA Smog laws
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:36:58 -0800
Geegc@aol.com wrote:

<<<
I suggest we all write letters to our elected officials to express our
opposition to this revision of the 30 year rolling smog check exemption.  These
idiots want to force old cars off of the roads and into assisted retirement,
just so they can feel that they are doing their job.  In reality, 30 year old
cars account for a minute fraction of the vehicle population, and in effect
contribute nothing to the state pollution problems.

Peter

I must politely disagree (while hoping all followup discussions remain equally
polite).  Older cars may be a small percentage of the population but they
pollute far more per vehicle, even when in perfect tune.  Cars with catalytic
converters need to be tested to see when they fail, so as to keep them as clean
as they can be.  Our air has gotten far better in the last decade and I believe
that some of this change has to do with better maintenance of older cars as
well as the fact that newer cars are far cleaner than the older ones.
The law is written for people who need a reminder to maintain their vehicles,
not the motor heads who are on top of any problem their cars may have.  I
believe that we should actually have more required inspections.   I grew up in
New York, where there is an annual safety inspection requirement.  Brakes and
tires, lights, etc.  It's when my parents' cars got their annual oil change and
tune-up.

Mark Miller
2 exempt vehicles, 2 not.