Overheating/Grounding?

Subject: Overheating/Grounding?
From: "The Hoovers" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:59:43 -0700
A fellow list member e-mailed to me a suggestion that we check the
grounding, having had similar experience with overheating.  I didn't mention
that the fuel gauge is registering empty even though I know it has gas in it
(we filled it shortly before parking it a few weeks ago.) I do believe it
worked sporadically before.

When we installed the internally regulated alternator (which is charging
just fine, BTW) we completely removed the old voltage regulator, which had
two wires from the alternator, one that went to the battery and one that
went to the ammeter.  We removed the ammeter completely.

When we rewired, we used the original fuse block which has 2 prongs.
Currently, it is being powered off the starter where the battery cable goes
in.  We installed a maxi fuse between the starter and the fuse block.

The battery is grounded to the engine block, the alternator to the inside
fender well/frame and the starter to the frame.  Could our wiring be causing
the problem?

Charlotte Hoover
Phoenix, AZ
'64 SPL310 1500