OT? 300% license fee increase

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT? 300% license fee increase
From: Robert Giel <giel@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:55:05 -0800
I hope this message is allowed.

While this is not DATSUN only, it does relate to
our cars and every other vehicle we own here in
the state of California.

Without getting political, (you REALLY don't want
me to go there!), the Governor and other Democrats
of the State of California plan to increase ALL
car related fees 300%!  Yes, 300% in an effort to
help make up the current state deficit, they
created!  That increase is to include such things
as the annual license fees, transfer fees, and
anything else relating to motor vehicles. In other
words, if the Department of Motor Vehicles handles
it, it will cost three times as much as it does
today!  I would not be surprised if they wound up
including handicapped parking plaques and
stickers, but don't know about that.
If you paid $200 last year, it will be $600 next
year!

The Democrats say they are simply putting things
back to the way they were fifty years ago, when a
"temporary reduction" was enacted.  Oh, they are
also very quick to point out that these are not
tax increases, but fee increases, so they don't
need the approval of the taxpayers.  Clever, huh?
I know that makes me feel a lot better about them
picking my pocket because of their absolute
incompetence, same for you?

A local talk radio host (Al Rantel) and a State
Senator (Thomas McClintock) are already preparing
a ballot initiative which would automatically
block such a new law, if it is enacted.  For any
members of this group who are registered voters in
California and oppose this proposed law, please
consider going to McClintock's web site at:
http://www.tommcclintock.com/index.cfm
and sign up for a petition.  Even if you can only
collect one signature (your own), sign up now so
that the law can be stopped before it becomes
effective.  The idea is to stop such a law, if
passed, by collecting signatures for a ballot
referendum.  That would effectively put the law
into limbo until it is brought before all the
voters of the State for a final determination.

Thanks to all of the list (especially those who
are not in California) for your time and patience.

If we need to have Datsun stuff in a message, my
roadster is no better off than it was before.  No
change, no chance, very little hope!  I can't even
get it registered because they have to "see the
car" to transfer ownership to me from my Dad.  I
have to have an independent witness, (notarized is
not good enough!) verify that the car, (in our
family for more than a decade and a half) is, in
fact, the car I am claiming it to be.  I may try
calling a cop, and asking him/her to make out the
form, but the car doesn't run so I can't take it
to the DMV or AAA for them "to see".  Geez, how I
love government red tape and their bovine dew!

Bob Giel
Los Angeles
'66' Roadster SPL311 05249

--
Always remember:
What You Think of Me, is None of My Business.