Re: OT? 300% license fee increase

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT? 300% license fee increase
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:56:52 -0800
more on the CA license tax increase:

Note that there also is an exemption for any vehicle that sold for less than
$5000.  Rules out my roadster, which had a VLF fee of $2 last year (a VLF of $7
with $5 reduced by the rollback enacted a couple of years ago).  The total reg
cost is $40 per year, including a few other fixed fees.  So even without the
exemption I would be out five bucks a year.
Now my wife's car will cost a bunch more . . .

Mark Miller
willing to pay for my cake if I'm going to eat it.

<<< From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>

Here's the deal.  The VLF (Vehicle Licensing Fee) in California is a
portion of the annual registration fees based on vehicle purchase
price.  It is 2% of the purchase price and then decreases over the life of
the vehicle.

The last few years the 2% was cut to .65% and you'd see this on your
renewal as a VLF Offset.  That's a cut of nearly 3/4ths of the VLF portion
of the registration fees.  Most of the VLF monies went to local government,
and the state actually pitched in the remaining 1.35% from other taxes to
bring the total VLF funds back to 2% to give to the local governments.

Two things have been proposed, one that is likely to happen and the other
that isn't.  First, it is almost certain that the VLF will go back to the
full 2%, which really sucks...  >>>