Re: air filt er

To: Leigh Brooks <shifty@shiftco.com>,
Subject: Re: air filt er
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:28:57 -0600
I have a set of round K&Ns and billet air horns that I bought from APT
<http://aptfast.com/> in Riverside, CA, for the NOS L-4 SU setup that I have
for whichever 510 it ends up on. They're about 6 inches in diameter and at
least 4 inches tall so there should be plenty of room for fairly tall
velocity stacks. I think they're available in filter element heights down to
2 inches, maybe shorter. The billet stacks I got are basically just rolled
lips designed to channel and smooth the air flow into the carb throat.

I'm pretty sure that TWM has some nice bolt-on stacks, too, in different
heights and base diameters. I would suggest that you let any clearance
issues dictate the height of the filter elements first and then you can
decide what height stack to use while keeping at least as much clearance
above the stack throat as the throat is wide. This allows for a much
smoother air flow into the carb. You can also get filters with the mounting
holes offset to help when things are cramped or get them with blank bases so
you can roll your own.

The APT folks were really nice to work with. They also do Webers as well as
Sus.

HTH,
Ron