Re: Air horns & aftermarket air filters worth it for stock

To: Pete Peters <ppeters914@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Air horns & aftermarket air filters worth it for stock
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:41:51 -0600
> Pete Peters:

> The "air fi ter" thread has been very interesting, but it seems geared to
> the U20 crowd.
>
> Are there any real benefits to adding air horns and K&N's to a stock R16?
> Seems kinda spendy compared to $22 for the stock paper air filter from my
> Nissan dealer.

Fred mentioned the smaller SUs and the R-16 in an earlier post. While
there's probably not as much raw performance to be gained from the switch on
a stock R-16, there are other benefits. BTW, if your air cleaner assembly is
original it should have stacks built in to the base unless someone cut them
off. Not a good thing, IMHO.

Regarding using the K&Ns, K&N type filters will not only flow more air, but
usually do a better job of air filtration, too. Fact is that you buy them
once and then periodically clean and re-oil them, so over time I suspect the
cost of the K&Ns vs. OEM paper elements is at worst 6 of 1, etc. If you go
with one of Gary's EI distributors and take the time/spend the money to
tweak the operation and jetting on the carbs you probably would gain a
noticeable amount of extra go by using the less restrictive K&Ns.

I'm going to have to either stock up on OEM elements for the 2000 or replace
the whole shooting match with K&Ns. I suspect I will end up with the K&Ns.

FWIW,
Ron