Re: [Roadsters] Cylinder head

To: "'Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team.Net'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Cylinder head
From: Jim Gammon <gtpjimgammon@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 04:50:09 -0800 (PST)
Years ago I had a head warp on my first roadster, and like an idiot, I had it
shaved.

  A few weeks later the cam broke in half.

  You can't make this stuff up.

  Jim

Dave Stoll <dgstoll@verizon.net> wrote:
  There is a tolerance for how flat the head is. None are perfectly flat. If
the head is curved so that the ends touch the top of the block first, by
starting torquing the bolts in the middle first you pull the curve down and
flatten the head. If you were to start tightening the bolts at the end first
it would be much harder to pull the head down flat in the middle..we are
only talking a couple thousandths but thats all it takes to get a leaky head
gasket.. I believe the tolerance on the 1600 heads is .003 to .005
thousandths of an inch or about the thickness of a piece of notebook
paper...
daveS