fot

Re: Race car restoration questions...

To: DLMAssoc@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Race car restoration questions...
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:09:13 -0500
DLMAssoc@aol.com wrote:

> Amici:
>
> Since meeting Jeff Snook at Daytona recently, we've discussed how I should
> proceed with the "restoration" of the TR4A I got from Jack Wheeler.  Jeff
> suggested we take it to the FOT to get other opinions.
>
> The scenario is:  The car has raced continuously since the early '70s, being
> upgraded continuously to stay competitive in SCCA club racing.  That, of
> course, means flared fenders, crank trigger ignition, wide wheels, slicks,
> etc.  By 1987 it was competing regularly in the Runoffs and in 1990 won the E
> Prod championship.  In '93, it was wrecked badly, then rebuilt and raced again
> from '95 through '97.  Prior to the wreck the steel bodywork was replaced with
> fiberglass so I have the bodywork that was on the car when it won in '90.  In
> short, although it has a long racing history, its most significant event
> occured well after the timeframe the vintage racing groups are trying to
> recreate.
>
> I've decided to "restore" the car to be used primarily at HSR and SVRA events
> in the Southeast, so I'll be getting rid of the fiberglass bodywork and other
> things that aren't compatible, but I'm interested in the opinion of
> experienced vintage racers as to how far back I should take it.  I'm told I'll
> still be able to drive it in SVRA (Group 10) in its 1990 configuration (steel
> flares and slicks) but not in the same group with other TRs.
>
> The issue is,  how should an old car with a somewhat significant, but very
> recent, racing history be restored for vintage racing?  If I put the original
> steel bodywork back on (with all the original Runoffs tech stickers, etc),
> it'll be virtually identical to it's 1990 Runoff winning configuration, but
> that means flares and slicks too, and the inability to drive it with other
> TRs.  If I put on a set of unflared fenders, go to narrower wheels and vintage
> tires, it'll be back to what it would have looked like in 1966 or so, but not
> like it did when it won its "big race".
>
> I'm not tuned into "history" as it pertains to race cars, so my plan right now
> is to take it all the way back to '66, put the flares, etc. in storage and if
> someone wants to make it look "1990" someday in the future they can, but in
> the meantime I can race it as it looked way back when.  Any reason I shouldn't
> do this?  Am I missing something by ignoring the biggest part of its history?
> Am I depriving some young child of anything (other than my boy James, who
> might miss a few meals as a result of this project)?  Does anybody really care
> about "history"?  Anything else?
>
> Thanks...
> Don Marshall
> Jacksonville, Fla
don, for what it';s worth - the car was a race car in the 70's but its
true moment of glory is the national championship.  no matter what else
transpired, it was a tr4 that won in the configuration you have now.
you need to decide if you want a 1970's vintage racer - remember people
are building these on a regular basis to compete with vintage groups -
or you want ot have a championship (real, not imagined or obscure) car
to run in a vintage class. you have to decide what you want from the
program - to run a vintage car in "as was" condition or to go to the
sanctioning bodies and seee if you can run an old tr4 with a national
championship to its credit in another class in an "as it won" condition.
ted btw - i vote for running it as the car that won.
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive