fot

Re: Race car restoration questions...

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Race car restoration questions...
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:52:55 EST
In a message dated 11/17/98 9:19:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, EISANDIEGO
writes:

<< Since I am not involved with either of those vintage groups, I can not
comment on what would or would not be required. You should check the situation
out very carefully before making changes that are not necessary. [In a recent
discussion with a mechanic friend, he indicated his clients like running HSR
because of the flexibility to upgrade their cars, specifically flaring
fenders, bigger engines, and fiberglass.] Even some of the vintage TRs have
fiberglass body parts.

 It seems that once you change one thing on these cars, it necessitates that
you change something else. So it might be a lot more fun if you can leave the
car as it is. There is probably alot of informal R&D that went into the car
with its current setup. So my quess is that it will probably be alot more fun
to keep the car like it is even today that to start making it any more
"vintage" than necessary.

 Finally, I would agree with some elses comment that if you change the car
away from its historical setup, the car is not going to be as valuable to a
future buyer (nor as interesting to see at the track). I think race fan would
prefer to see the car as it was raced, If you really think that you would
prefer to run with the other TRs and the rules will not let you, maybe you
have the wrong car. I strongly suggest that you investigate the rules
situation very thoroughly before making changes. >>

Thanks for the comments.   I can see both sides of the question, and may even
agree that it's not the right car... but it's the car I've got.  I hadn't
thought too much about the race fans, either.  I guess that could become the
topic of another discussion of how much of vintage is for the fans vs for the
drivers.

Thanks...
Don