fot

Re: Walter Mitty - MG TR Challenge April 2005

To: henry@henryfrye.com, N197TR4@cs.com, fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Walter Mitty - MG TR Challenge April 2005
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:55:16 EDT
In a message dated 10/03/2004 7:24:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
henry@henryfrye.com writes:

> I'm going to be sitting out the big "Festival" events for a while. After my
>
> Watkins Glen experience where I paid over $500 (including membership
> renewal) to run 5 sessions over 4 days and none of the sessions had more
> than 6 timed laps I'm focusing my schedule on events where I can actually
> run the car.
>
> Those recent comments about the packed paddock don't get me very excited
> either!

Henry:

Good for you!  Displaying your likes and dislikes to the seller is the
American Way.  But as long time Treasurer of the VSCDA, I see more than one
side of
these issues, and believe me there are not always easy fixes.  But enough
people avoiding specific events for highly publicized reasons, will certainly
get
attention.

I certainly relate to Jeff Snook's comments about 'set up problems',
particularly for people who have large (long) race rigs.  Your race week end is
always
'apprehensive' until you are set up satisfactorily, and in a timely fashion.
I've never experienced ROAD ATLANTA, but have had problems elsewhere (i.e.,
SEBRING, etc.,).

Keep in mind that fixing such problems involve dollars.  In the case of set
up, the sanctioning body needs to buy the set up day from the track.  Week days
are not as expensive as week end days, but at major tracks they still cost
thousands of dollars.  Sometimes running a test day will pay (or help), or else
it just gets added to the entry fee.  So that can be fixed, but it will
involve more dollars from somewhere.

If a successful racing week end relates directly to track minutes/entry fee.
That's easy, you avoid the big glitzy events, and focus on the smaller
events.  Especially those at 'club tracks'.

I am also sympathetic to the tracks.  For a myriad of reasons, they are
having trouble making ends meet.  VSCDA is a ROAD AMERICA stockholder, and we
receive financial statements and attend annual meetings.  They have been losing
significant money for several years.  Their problems are due to current capitol
improvement depreciation and their CHAMP car event, rather then amateur racing.
 I know exactly what VSCDA pays Midwestern club tracks like BLACKHAWK and
GRATTAN.  I'm a business man, and I can guess at their potential annual income
and expenses.  Quite frankly, I don't know how they make ends meet.

These are sticky issues.

Bill Dentinger