fot

RE: Walter Mitty - MG TR Challenge April 2005

To: "'BillDentin@aol.com'" <BillDentin@aol.com>, henry@henryfrye.com,
Subject: RE: Walter Mitty - MG TR Challenge April 2005
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:27:34 -0700
I understand the frustration--I go to vintage races to race, and events like
the Monterey Historics and the Wine Country Classic can be galling when you
get so little track time. But I've decided not to worry about it, because
there is so much more to these events. I'm like a kid at Dinsneyland at the
Historics--I want to see it all before it closes and I know I'm missing
stuff every moment. Perhaps the problem with an event like the Mitty is that
there's not enough other things going on to replace the track time. Monterey
certainly does that, the Wine Country to a lesser extent. It's a virtuous
spiral, and it makes good business sense--the more fluff or peripheral
events you add, the more general audience you gain. The General Racing
(Historics) treats the racers very well, but anyone that races there knows
it's more about the sponsors and the crowd than just a bunch of geezers
playing with their toys. Goodwood should probably be the model for BIG
events.

Of course big events = big risk.

I do lots of club events during a year and get plenty of track time. What I
really want to do is run Peyote in anger at every legendary track in the
country. Hence the Airstream project. The Mitty is high on my list.