fot

Re: European GP (not LBC)

To: "SueKahlerTR" <spitfiresuz@141.com>,
Subject: Re: European GP (not LBC)
From: "michael cook" <mlcooknj@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:07:30 -0400
Hi all-

I can't resist getting into this a bit because I know Janet Guthrie and I am
convinced that 25 years ago she could have done everything that Danica
accomplished had she had the backing.

Janet came up through sports car racing and talked her way into an Indy car
ride with nothing more than grit and determination to back her driving skill.
She never had a top car from a top team. Yet, she finished 9th.

Janet ran half a season in NASCAR, out-qualifying many of the famous names of
the day but ran out of money and had to quit.

Danica had her parent's support and a range of opportunities that were not
open to Janet. She entered Indy with a top team and the best equipment.

She wants to be known as a hell of a good driver, not the world's fastest
female. Janet fought the same battle but the racing world and the racing press
made it very difficult.

Susan is so right - the rest of the 2005 Indy field got short-changed by the
media before, during and after the race. I hope the press gives Danica a
chance to be a driver for the rest of the season.

Mike Cook