fot

RE: European GP (not LBC)

To: "'Rocky Entriken'" <rocky@tri.net>, Dave Riddle
Subject: RE: European GP (not LBC)
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:59:55 -0700
Truth is, the press coverage for the average IRL (or CART) race is about
equal to a squash match. None of these folks usually get any attention. The
media's interest in Danica is just beginning. Assuming she stays on the US
(which is probably a very good assumption) the net effect on IRL will be
tremendous, and the interest will transfer to the racing itself to some
degree. It might even begin to approach the viewing numbers of NASCAR truck
racing.

Even Indy is comparatively ignored. This year's frenzy will be NOTHING
compared to next year. And if Danica wins an IRL race or two, suddenly there
will be lots of IRL fans.

Ain't nothing but good for the sport. Dave DeSpain is trying to create some
controversy with the "Danica Backlash" theory, like any good talk show host
should. But he knows it's bullshit. Jeff Gordon is trying hard to prove what
a Dink he is. And everyone is crying crocodile tears about the media
ignoring all the other drivers. They got more attention this year than they
have for the past five.

Pop quiz--who finished second last year.