fot

RE: four cyl diesel

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: four cyl diesel
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:30:16 -0600
The chassis dyno shop I use is in a little town in northern Illinois.
The owner of the shop is a certifiable performance nut. I was
surprised that his family car is a diesel VW Rabbit or whatever they
call them now.

"Huh?" I said.

Said he, "237 horsepower at the wheels, with the turbocharger and the
chip I installed. It's really fun to run with the Porsches on the Interstates".

I'm impressed.

At 04:54 PM 1/10/2006, Randall Young wrote:
> >   Why is it that we don't have a good reliable domestic 4 cyl diesel?
>
>I believe we do ... Cummins, John Deere and Detroit Diesel all offer diesel
>engines all the way down to 1L or so.
>
>But so far, all attempts to offer diesel-powered cars in the US have more or
>less failed for one reason or another.  Smoke, noise, smell and lack of
>power have all been problems ... Friend of mine bought a new diesel Audi
>5000 many years ago and his first comment was that it sounded like a
>"blender full of marbles" when he started it in the morning.
>
>AFAIK only the crazy Germans are offering diesel cars in the US at the
>moment ... and even they haven't bothered to get them to pass CA smog rules.
>It's only economically feasible when they can sell us the same drivetrain
>they sell in Europe.
>
>Besides, with most gas car engines going 100k miles between tune-ups these
>days, and diesel fuel being even more expensive than gas, what's the
>motivation for a diesel car ?
>
>Randall

uncle jack