fot

[Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:03:00 -0500
One of the things we'll be doing at the visitation is having folks
write down a favorite memory of Jack.  It occurs to me that many of
you can't attend but would like to participate in this portion of his
celebration.  You may even find it cathartic (I find that reading and
responding to the messages about him is cathartic for me).

If you'd like, reply to me with your favorite memory of Jack.  I'll
make sure that the whole family gets to read all of these.  If you
feel the desire, you can cc the FOT list, but that's not necessary.

I have a couple that I can share:
At IRP, when we were sharing old blue, Jack told me that turn 2 could
be taken flat out.  After the next session, I was explaining to him
how much I had to work at it to keep the car on the track when I took
turn 2 flat out.  His response: "You're taking 2 flat out?  I've not
done THAT yet in THIS car..." - apparently he was explaining the
hypothetical...  We would push each other quite a bit that way - one
of us would find a driving trick and couldn't wait to share it with
the other one of us.

At Road America, when I was still sorting out the Red Rocket (my
car), I had just removed the muffler in my quest for more top end
power.  When we got out on the track for the race, we were totally
equal in handling and power.  I believe that it was a 6 lap race.  We
were within a couple of car lengths of each other for almost the
entire race.  One of us would draft by the other one on the front
straight, and then on the back straight (from turn 3 to turn 5), we'd
reciprocate.  I passed him like 5 times and he passed me 5 or 6 times
in the 6 laps.  I went through turn 5 and 6 with Jack on my inside at
least once, tires squealing, inches apart, and I may have returned
the favor.  On the last lap, I managed to pull ahead for the run
through the kink, he couldn't draft by me until the start / finish
line - I had finally bested him!  However, exiting Canada corner my
throttle linkage broke (I had been pushing down on the gas pedal with
all of my might throughout the race), and he passed me to finish
ahead.  We always talked about this as the highpoint of our racing
careers.  Racing inches apart, sliding through the corners on those
wonderful Vintage TD's, totally trusting each other, man - it doesn't
get any better than that.

- Tony